Dear Parents, Alumni and Community Supporters,
The University Laboratory School (ULS) is a unique and special organization. Our charter school serves two interlocking missions: to design and deliver the best possible education to our own students, and to be a leader in educational research and development. Our vision is that all students will graduate ready for college, work, and responsible citizenship.
In order to achieve our mission and vision we need financial support from our ULS ohana. We would like to thank all the parents, alumni and community supporters who have contributed to it this past year. As you may be aware, the per pupil funding received from the Charter School Commission is inadequate for our student needs, and we need to find other ways to supplement our per pupil costs. We count on this Annual Appeal to the community to fill that shortfall in funding.
We ask that you please consider a donation to support our school. Your donations support our ongoing school programs, including assisting with technology purchases, musical instruments, equipment and supplies, transportation, textbooks and facility upgrades.
Our University Laboratory School Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity, will facilitate receipt of donations from our current families, Alumni, community and ohana at large. The response this year has been tremendous and the results are now visible on campus. Any help is appreciated and makes a big difference for our school and your child!
This past school year and summer we were able to make great strides with the help of parent/student volunteers and Foundation support. We were able to achieve the following:
For some of our future projects in the 2016-2017 school year the foundation and school has set a goal of $150,000 for our Annual Appeal to school parents. With your continued support we are striving to implement the following facility goals this school year or in the near future, dependant upon available funds:
- Building 3 – We are looking into the installation of air conditioners with photovoltaic panels or adding more ceiling fans to cool down several rooms. We are working with the University to explore our options.
- Locker Room – Painting and clean-up of the girls locker room.
- Building 3 Science – We are also working with ULS student groups and the College of Education to create new learning environments. We are specifically looking to develop and create a model science classroom which demonstrates our commitment to excellence in science.
- Furniture – We are looking to purchase of new furniture for one (1) classroom.
- Courtyard and Basketball Courts – We are looking to add shade structures to these areas to help our students cool down during the school day.
To make donating easy the foundation has a new website to help better facilitate online donations. If you have any questions, please contact the ULS Foundation office at (808) 394-6921 or visit www.ulsfoundation.org to make an online gift or mail in the Donation Form. For those families who are willing to volunteer their time to foundation or school events, we greatly appreciate all your help and efforts. We will send out volunteer signups throughout the year.
We appreciate your generosity and continued support of the University Laboratory School.
President, ULS Foundation